Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Alone







Earlier this month I got to go back to Arizona and see the kids and grandkids for a day and the trip was quite the experience. To say that nothing seemed to go right is an understatement. Once there I did get to love on those grandbabies, go shooting, spent some quality time with the kids, shot some pool and rode my sons motorcycle. Although it was way to short we did have a blast and I got some good pictures! Then the return flight was delayed about (3) hours and the return flight was turning into its own bad experience.
This year was the first year that my lovely wife and I have had alone at Christmas time since our first year of marriage. It was a very hard time as the empty nest felt like an enemy and we were lost not making sure everything went just right for everyone....it was just us. We had some fun going to opening day of Sherlock Holmes and then feasting on home made egg rolls. (Which has always been one of my favorites) We sat and thought of our kids and grandkids in silence thinking of Christmas past and just feeling sorry for ourselves. It just wasnt the same..
but we made it through and vowed that next year we would be with family one way or the other.
With this time off I have had time to sit and think, read some, watch some movies and spend time with Dev. During that time I thought about our happiness as a couple, as individuals and what our future holds. It has taken me many years to learn that happiness is not a place, not a thing nor a person.... it is inside each one of us. A decision to be made....yes I am and will be happy or no I'm not. Shrinks of today try to victimize us, give us reasons for the way we are but it all comes back around to the decision. Been thinking some about this lately.
I hope that all of you have had a joyous Christmas season and will have a happy and safe New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment